· 31st July Upper Bryntalch Farm, Abermule, Montgomery, SY15 6LA
· 14th August Monkridge Hill Farm, West Woodburn, Hexham, NE48 2TU
The growth and interest in Wagyu beef from chefs and consumers across the UK has led to the Wagyu Breeders Association (WBA) hosting two open days this summer informing farmers, butchers and chefs of the benefits and qualities of Wagyu beef.
Often described as the world’s tastiest, tender beef the open events are being held to encourage farmers to consider producing Wagyu beef in the UK, and to give help and advice to the hospitality sector in sourcing British-bred Wagyu.
Ifor Humphreys, one of the earliest UK Wagyu pioneers with ‘’Ifor’s Welsh Wagyu’’ will host the first event sat Upper Bryntalch Farm, Abermule, Montgomery on 31st July 4-9pm. The provisional programme includes speakers Mike Tucker (WBA Chairman), Jeannie Tomlin (Alternative Meats) and is to be followed by a visit to the Welsh Meat Online Centre of Excellence, Welshpool, and a demonstration by Gareth Ward, Head Chef at the Michelin-starred Ynyshir Restaurant.
14th August sees Steve Ramshaw host an Open Day 11am-2.30pm at Monkridge Hill Farm, West Woodburn, Hexham. Topics include: the health benefits of Wagyu beef; Fullblood or crossbred production; feeding and finishing; beef maturation, fat class and age; beef grading system post-Brexit; and a guide to retailing and purchasing.
These events will be of interest to farmers, butchers and the hospitality sector and will cover production, cooking and sourcing of Wagyu beef. There will also be an opportunity to view the cattle as well as tastings. Wagyu is a breed on the march so please come and join us at the ‘Open Days’.
Please find the draft programmes and timings below (subject to change).
Please email email@example.com to register your attendance.
31st July Upper Bryntalch Farm 4-9pm
- 4pm registration
- Mike Tucker, Chairman WBA
- Ifor Humphreys – my Wagyu story
- Jeannie Tomlin, Alternative Meats
- Any Questions Discussion
- Farm walk
- Move to Welsh Meat Online Centre of Excellence, Welshpool for 7pm start
- Chef Demonstration Gareth Ward, Ynyshir Restaurant
- 14th August Monkridge Hill Farm
11.00am Registration & Refreshments
- Why Wagyu -Introduction to Wagyu in the UK
- Benefits of Wagyu beef: Omega 3s & 5s & CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid)
- Wagyu Breeders Association - benefits of membership including 10 free straws of Redewater Haruki 11 to new Members
- Production systems: Fullblood, Purebred & F1 (50% cross)
- Feeding & Finishing: grass grown, grain finished
- Retailing Wagyu beef (maturation, fat class and age)
- Grading system post Brexit
- Purchasing wagyu beef – where to buy and pricing
- Cooking Wagyu beef
- Visual inspection of beef and tasting
- Farm Walk
- Close at 2.30